Habitat’s Homeownership Program
Are you a U.S Citizen or legal resident?
Is your current housing crowded, dangerous, or sub-standard?
Do you live or work in Washington County?
Do you have the ability to pay a mortgage?
Are you willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity?
If you answered YES to all of these questions, you could qualify to be Habitat for Humanity of Southwest Utah’s next homeowner!
Habitat for Humanity of Southwest Utah (HFHSWU) is devoted to helping low income families have safe, decent, and affordable housing. Habitat purchases improved building lots, foreclosed, and vacant properties in communities throughout Washington County to help qualified families realize the American Dream of homeownership. You can read more about Habitat on our About Us page.
Qualifications for Homeownership
In order to qualify for a Habitat home, interested applicants must meet the following basic eligibility requirements.
- Must live or work in Washington County, UT for one year before application date
- Must be able to legally work and own real estate in the United States
- Must earn between 30% – 60% of HUD’s Adjusted Area Median Income (see our 2017 Income Guidelines)
- Must demonstrate the ability to repay a 0% mortgage
- Must demonstrate a willingness to partner and be an advocate for HFHSWU by completing the following items:
- Up to 250 sweat equity hours per adult family member
- Graduate from HFHSWU authorized financial management program
- Additional courses through HFHSWU’s comprehensive homeownership education program
- Make a small down payment
Habitat for Humanity of Southwest Utah provides equal housing opportunities for all, and ensures fair and equal access to its programs and services regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, family status, disability, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, source of income, or other characteristics protected by law.
Family selection usually occurs once a year. Those who have filled out the Housing Interest Form will be contacted when this meeting happens. The meeting will provide details on the expectations of a Habitat Partner Family, you will also receive the application at the meeting. Those who wish to apply then fill out and submit their application by the appropriate date.